Preventing Lung Disease in Workers Who Use or Make Flavoring

Legal updates, news articles and media coverage. Please post all news story links in the 'News Clippings' section.

Moderator: CASAA Board Member

Preventing Lung Disease in Workers Who Use or Make Flavoring

Postby halfevildruid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:10 pm

halfevildruid
CASAA Member

Re: Preventing Lung Disease in Workers Who Use or Make Flavoring

Postby kristin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:48 pm

I think this was reactions to ingredients specifically in artificial butter flavor, correct? Diacetyl and acetoin. Thankfully, I dont think these are in most other flavorings!

Of course, the flavorings ARE the greatest unknown with e-liquid. :(
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Postby halfevildruid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Diacetyl is known and no longer widely used. It is the 1000+ chemical combinations used to create various flavors that should be of concern.
halfevildruid
CASAA Member

Postby kristin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

halfevildruid wrote:Diacetyl is known and no longer widely used. It is the 1000+ chemical combinations used to create various flavors that should be of concern.

Yeah, that's what I meant about being an "unknown." It should definitely be a concern. I think they would make the smallest percentage of the liquid as a whole though, so they would be fairly diluted and should be well below any dangerous/toxic levels? Who knows until actual testing is done....
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Postby halfevildruid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:35 pm

I found that Flavourart liquid flavors below contain the diacetyl compound. Are we wrong to assume that dekang, TW, or any other home brew liquid makers with like flavors do not contain diacetyl? Understand that some flavors below are not intended for eliquid, however there is quite a few that is standard eliquid flavors.

Apple pie
Beer
Butter
Buterscotch
Beef boiled
Bell pepper
Chestnut
Champagne
Coconut
Croissant
Cheese Erdammer
Cheese Emmenthal
Cheese Parmigiano
Coffee
Caramel and butterscotch
Corn
Cream
Egg yolk
Fried
Golden syrup
Hazelnut
Maple
Milk condensed
Malt
Melon
Nut wild mix
Olive
Potato
Pistacchio
Rum
Soy sauce
Salmon
Truffle black
Tiramisu
Vanlla Madagascar
Vanilla Tahiti
Yogurt

(this is an italian company, growing more and more popular in usa)
halfevildruid
CASAA Member

Postby dperino » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:44 am

the point being disclosure of ALL ingredients in ejuice? consumer and health-related advocacy that pressures manufacturers to only use products having NO known or suspected adverse health-related issues? i'm absolutely for it. i think this to be very relevant. i just read where tw is having an inventory reduction sale on 36 mg beef boiled, gotta get me some of that :)
dperino
CASAA Member

Postby ckc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm just asking Liberty Flights on ECF if the Flavourart flavours they stock are vape-safe. They have a few listed that probably shouldn't be there. I'd hate for E-Cigs to hurt someone and get bad press/banned because some-one mixed a flavour they thought was safe and vaped it.
ckc
CASAA Member

Postby andtyler2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Frankly, this is one issue that won't (and shouldn't) disappear. We tend to focus on the harm reduction benefits of vaping. And it's an absolutely legitimate argument when we look at the long list of toxins that are associated with burning tobacco. But we don't really know about the nature and extent of the harm, if any, we might be doing to ourselves (or to those around us) when we inhale flavoring agents that were designed to be ingested/eaten. I'm an ex-menthol smoker. It's disquieting, to say the least, when I think about how menthol cigarettes were associated with a greater incidence of smoking-related illness and disease.

We all want a happy ending here but we can't stick our heads in the sand. Knowing the ingredients of each flavor produced by different suppliers is important. But we also need to know what happens when different concentrations of the stuff are heated at different temperatures. Testing really is critical.
andtyler2
CASAA Member

Postby Spence » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 am

Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but as a new member, I was intrigued by this discussion.

A few questions:

Would it be possible to obtain info from other flavoring producers about the most egregious ingredients?

Would it be possible to appeal to retailers of e-liquids to voluntarily abstain from the use of these ingredients? Perhaps they could be asked to "pledge" to guidelines that would assure their customers of this? (Don't cringe! I repeat ... "voluntarily".)

Could it not be used in an advantageous manner by those retailers? As a selling point?

Evidence: "Sugar Free", "No MSG", "No Red Dye", "Fragrance Free", etc... all used to boost the sale of major products and in response to consumer concerns.

If it is one of the goals of CASAA to reduce the risk of harm is this not right up our alley?

And as a little food for thought ... was not one of the most brilliant bits of branding ever conceived the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval"? Might CASAA not obtain pledges from retailers as outlined above in exchange for CASAA's recognition that they have done so? Not an endorsement! Merely an acknowledgment of their pledge to this standard.

Hope I haven't opened Pandora's box here, but I'm new (so you HAVE to forgive me).
Spence
CASAA Regional Rep

Return to News & Legal Updates