Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Grab your latte and have a seat. Keep your off-topic discussions here and please be respectful with your language and topics.

Moderator: CASAA Board Member

Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Kate » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Stuff to inspire, clear mind cobwebs or just plain make us think.




User avatar
Kate
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: UK

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby halfevildruid » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I like this video, downloaded to my collection.
User avatar
halfevildruid
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby seminolewind » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey, I'll have a grandedecafcaramemachiattowithanextrashotofespresso!
User avatar
seminolewind
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Kate » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:19 pm

seminolewind wrote:Hey, I'll have a grandedecafcaramemachiattowithanextrashotofespresso!



There's one poured for you at the kitchen table ;) around-the-kitchen-table-t49.html
User avatar
Kate
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: UK

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Feeling grumpy 'is good for you'


In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you.

An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly.

In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed.

While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm
User avatar
Kate
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: UK

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby seminolewind » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 pm

I guess that's why I focus on something when I'm in a foul mood. I can just see myself doing it at work the other night.
User avatar
seminolewind
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Thulium » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Kate wrote:
Feeling grumpy 'is good for you'


In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you.

An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly.

In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed.

While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm


Haha! But what is the point? You might make better decisions, but you're still miserable. We've all heard that "Ignorance is bliss"...apparently, the opposite is also true!
User avatar
Thulium
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby dperino » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Thulium wrote: Haha! But what is the point? You might make better decisions, but you're still miserable. We've all heard that "Ignorance is bliss"...apparently, the opposite is also true!


things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'. exactly.....hmmm. thulium, what's your point?
User avatar
dperino
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:52 am

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Thulium » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm

dperino wrote:
Thulium wrote: Haha! But what is the point? You might make better decisions, but you're still miserable. We've all heard that "Ignorance is bliss"...apparently, the opposite is also true!


things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'. exactly.....hmmm. thulium, what's your point?


I thought it was clear: I find it darkly humorous that a study proves that misery fosters attentiveness.

If it boils down to a choice between being a miserable Scrooge or a happy fool, I think I'll choose the latter. Fortunately, that is not what this study was saying. I think its possible to have both, and true wisdom is found by understanding both views.
User avatar
Thulium
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Things that make you go 'hmmmm ...'

Postby Kate » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:00 pm

I love this website, I learned loads about different political tendencies here, it should be compulsory for everyone to take the test - http://www.politicalcompass.org/index
User avatar
Kate
CASAA Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: UK

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron