California SB 882

This forum is for CASAA members to alert each other on possible legislation that would restrict or deny access to smokeless alternatives in their area. Please subscribe to this forum for email alerts and check back frequently to see what you can do to help keep vaping safe!

Moderator: CASAA Board Member

California SB 882

Postby devnull71 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:13 pm

As noted on several ECF posts (example), Senator Ellen Corbett of San Leandro, author of the recently vetoed Senate Bill 400, is re-introducing legislation to ban the sale/distribution of electronic cigarettes with California by classifying anything which can provide inhaled doses of nicotine as a drug under the Sherman Food Drug and Cosmetic law. (See SB882 Draft)

While the stated purpose of the bill is to prohibit sale to minors, this impacts us all by criminalizing the sale of any device not approved by the FDA.

I've drafted letters to both my home district Senator, and the author of the bill. My stated opinion being that while I support prohibiting sale to minors, e-cigarettes should remain available for purchase within the state by adults.

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of other Calif. CASAA reps regarding the impact of this bill, as well as possible actions to take.
devnull71
CASAA Regional Rep

Re: California SB 882

Postby Drozd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Wow...it's obvious senator Corbett there has an agenda....
I think this is the first one that has actually used the word electronic cigarette and made a definition as to how it works as opposed to just eluding to it in general..
I'm not sure how the state could clasify it as a drug with the federal case in the works that would clasify it as a tobacco product..
Drozd
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby devnull71 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:06 pm

An update on the ECF thread by member 'fast12345' says that he'd called Ellen Corbett's office. A staffer said that Corbett was amending the bill to only apply to minors, and that this update to the bill would be coming next week. I certainly hope he's correct. I would encourage anyone (especially if you're in her district) to give her a call and encourage her to amend the bill: 916-651-4010
devnull71
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby DigitalC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:43 am

I have just checked the status of this bill SB 882 and it has not yet been amended to reflect that it will only apply to minors. I Live in northern California and own a small online retail store selling Electronic Cigarettes. www.digitalciggz.com. I am compiling a list of the Senators that voted against SB 400 and I will be sending them a letter as well as to the Senators that voted for SB 400. I will post again when I have sent the letters and supply some lists of who was for and who was against the last bill of this sort. I feel that just because Arnold Vetoed the last bill doesn't mean we are free and clear forever. I support regulation of these products so they don't get in the hands of Minors..but I am so against any bill that blindly tries to destroy something..that they know nothing about. Ill post some more info here regarding this matter soon.
DigitalC
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby DigitalC » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 am

Ok not sure if anyone is following this bill but I have been getting updates on SB 882 for the last few days. I signed up to be notified when there are changes to the bill or activity: here is what I got on the 6th and then today as well:

4/6/2010
SB 882 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postq ... type=email

STATUS http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil ... tatus.html

4/7/2010
SB 882 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postq ... type=email

STATUS http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil ... tatus.html

I am having a rough time understanding some of the vernacular on these bills but I think If I half understand. it looks like Corbett DID! Amend this bill ( 4/6/2010) to only apply to the sales to Minors in California (which I totally support) If anyone can clarify that for me that would be great. I might even just call her office today and find out.

It would be nice to get some support on following this bill and keeping and eye on Corbett in the future. If anyone is in California and wants to work with me on supporting this please E-mail me at info@digitalciggz.com
DigitalC
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby kristin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Not to worry, we are following it closely!

It's been officially amended and the language has been changed to only ban the sales to minors!! YAY!
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Postby EcigGuy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 am

Watch Corbett, while she did change the bill, it was obviously a rehash of the old bill and for those of us who watched her last bill go from green cars to cigarette marketing to ecigs, she's a squirly one.

Only time Ive ever watched a senator end her remarks before her bill was voted on with "the bill has no known opposition and has not been opposed by the tobacco industry."

Course that was before we got a bit more organized to register our opposition! Lets hope she's not able to say that if she tries to ban the sale to anyone but minors again.
EcigGuy
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby rameybl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm still concerned about this SB882 bill still, it may negatively impact some our major suppliers.
Like Tasty Vapor, whom is based out of CA(there are several others, but TV sticks in my head)

The bill is requiring business that sell these products to get a state tobacco license, these licenses are given out by the discretion of state officials. As there are no "standards" yet for e-cig items, and the bill doesnt really cover this. It might be a loop hole to shut all CA based business's down.
They wouldnt have to make it illegal, just deny a few licenses.
rameybl
CASAA Member

Postby Janetda » Sat May 01, 2010 3:11 am

I don't see anywhere in the bill where it requires that seller get a state tobacco license. I'm sure they need to a have a business license just like any other business, but I don't see a special requirement for a tobacco license.
Janetda
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby rameybl » Tue May 04, 2010 12:15 pm

They are filling E-cigs under the tobacco products...so it would be subject to all preexisting laws that effect tobacco products.

"Existing law:
1)Requires a retailer to maintain a license to engage in the sale of
cigarettes or tobacco products.
2)Authorizes cities and counties to issue business licenses, set
licensing fees, and collect licensing fees."

From the legal analysis of sb882 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil ... _comm.html
rameybl
CASAA Member

Next

Return to Call To Action!!