VA health department skirts the legislative process

This forum is for CASAA members to alert each other on possible legislation that would restrict or deny access to smokeless alternatives in their area. Please subscribe to this forum for email alerts and check back frequently to see what you can do to help keep vaping safe!

Moderator: CASAA Board Member

VA health department skirts the legislative process

Postby mac » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Thats right. This guy is an anti smoking nazi who has illegally declared e-cigarettes a part of virginias new smoking ban. He would have us breahting in smoke even though we have quit because our well being is less important then his absurd power trip. I strongly reccomend that every one fill this jerk's in box with our stories and facts. For more info on this travesty click the following link. People like this need to be stopped.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... ettes.html
mac
CASAA Member

Re: VA health department skirts the legislative process

Postby mac » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am

mac
CASAA Member

Postby Safia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 am

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/virgin ... es_do.html

Here is a link to the story by the Washington Post on VA Attorney General Ruling. In addition, you can register to post comments if you are so inclined.
Safia
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby kristin » Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm

This is an awesome example of ONE voice making a difference!! Imagine what we can do TOGETHER!!
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Postby Chiqa » Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 pm

This is wonderful news. I hope the rest of the country is taking notes.
Chiqa
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby Charley » Wed May 12, 2010 10:59 pm

I live about 2 hours from Philip Morris in Richmond. I am totally thrilled about our AG speaking out and making the distinction between analogs and PV's. In a way it suprised me because of PM's headquarters being in my backyard, and I really did figure that tobacco would win no matter what. I vape freely in my favorite restaurants regularly with no problems. I used to vape in Wal-Mart until I boycotted them for their financial contribution to protect their interest of NRT sales along with Walgreen's and joining the "Ban-Wagon".

I sincerely hope that the AG's example echoes around the country and has a positive impact for all of us!
Charley
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby kristin » Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 am

OK, now you can inform me of something! :D

When did Walmart and Walgreens announce they were banning ecigs from their stores? Or is it something else they are doing? I haven't heard about this!
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Postby Charley » Thu May 13, 2010 1:28 am

Lol! This was something I found when searching for info on the American Cancer Society and found an article submitted by them from November 2009. They were included in the $1 million + awards for annual gifts to the ACS.

"The companies honored for their substantial gifts to the Society were: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP; Best Buy; Curves International; dressbarn inc.; HairUWear; International Business Machines (IBM); Merrill Lynch & Co.; Novartis Corporation; Oracle; PartyLite Gifts, Inc.; Pfizer Inc; The Pampered Chef, LTD; UAL Corporation and United Airlines; Walgreen Co.; Walmart; and WellPoint, Inc"

I read this at:

http://www.csrwire.com/press/press_rele ... er-Society

I also read an article when searching about our AG speaking out against the ban here which also mentioned the same topic and this one was from Instead:

"Motives are fun to guess, but let’s look at some facts. According to this online article from PreventCancer.com about the American Cancer Society, “for every $1 spent on direct service, approximately $6.40 is spent on compensation and overhead. In all ten states, salaries and fringe benefits are by far the largest single budget items, a surprising fact in light of the characterization of the appeals, which stress an urgent and critical need for donations to provide cancer services.”

So who pays the salary of people like Keenan Caldwell? Many individual donors of course, but there are some substantial donations of over 1 million dollars coming from corporations such as Novartis Corporation (maker of Habitrol and Thrive), Pfizer Inc, (maker of Nicotrol®NS and Nicotrol® Inhaler), Walmart (sells NRTs in their pharmacy), and Walgreen Co. (sells NRTs in their pharmacy).

Coming out against the electronic cigarette as a public health organization while being funded by corporations who make and sell competing products is suspicious at best".

That link is:

http://www.e-cig.org/2010/05/05/virgini ... -is-smart/

I took it upon myself to not shop at those two places. In our town, that's the only two on the list that we have here.

My Mother worked for the ALA many years ago and just stuffed envelopes to send out for contributions. She quit when she found out the salaries of the top dogs, realizing that a large amount of the contributions were going to salaries instead of helping people. She quit contributing to them back in the 1980's and I haven't contributed to them either for the same reason. When your petition came online (which I signed as soon as I read about it) I saw ALA on the list and the memories came rushing back to me of my Mother's words and her anger over it, so I may be boycotting them for personal reasons, but with them being the primary source of NRT's here, and I've spend hundreds of dollars buying them in the past, I took it upon myself to not shop there anymore.
Charley
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby Charley » Thu May 13, 2010 7:26 am

I forgot to mention that I took the Instead article at face value and the links in the actual article are what I paid more attention to, but there were some interesting points to ponder in what Instead said.
Charley
CASAA Regional Rep

Postby kristin » Mon May 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info! Walmart had ecigs online for a while, but not anymore. :(
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Next

Return to Call To Action!!