Yahoo & Google: "Tobacco Products"

Discussions about what is going on in the smoke-free alternatives community.

Moderators: CASAA Board Member, Volunteer Admin

Yahoo & Google: "Tobacco Products"

Postby Spence » Thu May 20, 2010 6:00 pm

This post on ECF forum reports that Yahoo and Google have determined "e-cigs" to be tobacco products.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... ssure.html

Legally, could this be of any importance to us?
Spence
CASAA Regional Rep

Re: Yahoo & Google: "Tobacco Products"

Postby HIPPE » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:26 pm

I don't know about legal importance but anytime a large and respectable company like Google or Yahoo give's some sort of legitimacy to the argument against the FDA , I personally think that is a good thing. As to WHY they are taking this stance , I tend to lean on the idea that they don't want to be involved in a cat fight over personal vaporizers and possibly come out on the wrong end of a hairy court case decided by some far out judge trying to make a name for his or herself.
HIPPE
CASAA Member

Postby moonswamp » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 am

Google or yahoo, doesn't make any sense!
Ecigator - China Electronic Cigarette Manufacturer
http://www.ecigator.com/
moonswamp
CASAA Member

Re: "Tobacco Products"

Postby jd4x4 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am

As a noob, I find this topic interesting because 5 days into my introduction to PV's (and because of PV's 5 days tobacco free after 45 years of failed attempts via FDA's route) I've formed an opinion that the delivery of nicotine via PV's is NOT a tobacco product as it has been historically and legislatively defined.

i.e. the addictive quality of nicotine has historically been tied to harm because of the carcinogenic properties of the other tobacco components, and is especially insidious because it draws users back to tobacco. I'm thinking the LAST thing we would want to do is have it called a tobacco product as I assume the OP here was implying.

That line of thought appears to be in the Cahn and Siegel paper that I've just read as well. But, I see that the current legislative handout packet leads off with a White Paper calling for the FDA to reclassify them as tobacco products. Granted, I think I understand that this reclassification from a drug/device to a tobacco product (as the FDA defines it) is the lesser of the two FDA evils .. but I personally think that the position taken in the Cahn and Siegel paper (with some updated points due to events since it's creation) is the position we should emphasise.

Divorcing PV's and nicotine from it's historical coupling with tobacco so that it can be evaluated in the new light that it deserves is what I'd like to get across to MY legislators (and everyone else's along with the general public!). THEN hit them with the cold hard facts that they really hurt no one while helping many.

Thoughts? Am I off base here?

Besides, now that it IS going to be regulated as a tobacco product by the FDA (a.) isn't the packet somewhat outdated, and (b.) isn't now more than ever the time to divorce PV's from tobacco products before the FDA makes them so restrictive and/or over priced that we all start reconsidering our options?

For example - Prior to 5 days ago I was of the opinion that yeah, there is a cancer risk, but hey my grandfather died of lung cancer in his 80's & went out high on morphine. I've lived a full life so far.. do I really want to go too much past mid 80's?
jd4x4
CASAA Member

Postby Brewlady » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 am

As I understand it, the problem was that the FDA wanted to classify the product as a cessation device, which would require them to be regulated as a pharmaceutical product. The only other alternative was to classify it as tobacco. We need a third category that recognizes reduced-harm NICOTINE products, that have eliminated the harmful effects of using tobacco to obtain nicotine.

But when you classify e-liquid as a TOBACCO product, states are going to start taxing harm-reduction products at the same higher rate as tobacco cigarettes. Big Tobacco is losing revenue, Big Pharma is losing revenue, and states are collecting less tobacco tax, so there is no monetary incentive for anyone to endorse a safer product.

The bottom line is that people who believe in harm reduction are fighting for the health of adults who use tobacco to obtain nicotine, and we're fighting against legislators who are looking at decreased revenue. My concern is health, their concerns have absolutely nothing to do with health.
Brewlady
CASAA Board Member

Postby MONEYMAN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 pm

This is about the FDA first trying to regulate as a drug delivery device with many years of trials and the insane approval process. When that got shot down, there was one other way to go.

Looking at the lost revenues potential from both Pharma and Big Tobacco the FDA reacts and makes a deal to regulate as a tobacco product....why?

Easy, tax revenue from all sides

Let the small e-cig companies build a market demand and then hand it over to Big Tobacco when it becomes worth while for them to enter the market (with FDA approval) and control of tobacco farms.......end of story....status quo sustained

Goverment+Business=Corruption http://seekingalpha....-to-big-tobacco See what Wall Street is saying, read the comments
Last edited by MONEYMAN on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MONEYMAN
CASAA Member

Postby MONEYMAN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:09 pm

here is the next day posting http://www.zimbio.com/Tobacco+smoking/a ... hell+story

Revolver, sees this as a way to take down Big Tobacco, it's more like here is 10 million, now go away!!
MONEYMAN
CASAA Member

Postby kristin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 pm

I had to chuckle a bit at the statement "take down Big Tobacco." Why? Why not just get them to phase out cigarettes and get back to the reliable and lower-risk smoke-free products? A packet of snus or tobacco lozenge isn't anymore dangerous than coffee or a 5 Minute Energy drink. If we want to take down Big Tobacco over those, we should also be talking about taking down "Big Coffee," too.

We have to get past this outdated idea that Big Tobacco is "evil." Sure they fought admitting the potential addictive nature of nicotine (although research and e-cigarettes are starting to show that nicotine addiction - or dependency - isn't the reason people smoke) but no smoker could possibly say that they couldn't tell that smoking wasn't exactly healthy. You don't wake up with smokers cough and get winded at the slightest efforts and think "Oh yeah, those cigarettes aren't affecting my health at all!" "Big Auto" fought things like seat belts and headlights - things that would have saved hundreds of not thousands of lives - but we forgave them those money-saving transgressions, cars were eventually made safer and no one considers the car companies "evil" for "killing people."
kristin
CASAA Board Member

Return to General Discussion